- Commtel came into being on 31st July 1998. Our commercial operations commenced from 1st December 1998.
- Human Capital: We started our professional journey with a team of just 14 people, reaching to 50 by the end of FY 2003.
- Infrastructure Push: We operated out of a modest 700 sq. ft. rented premise during the first few years. In the year February 2002, we moved into our own 2000 sq. ft. spacious office also setting up an 800 sq. ft. fully functional ‘Systems Integration Centre’ in Navi Mumbai.
- Dedicated Networks Deployed: We carried on the legacy of being the dedicated telecommunication solutions provider and during our formative years, we deployed 6800 Kms of dedicated telecom network in the Oil & Gas sector.
- Revenue Growth: During the first five years of our operation we clocked a healthy, average revenue growth of 55%. The formative years constitute for 5% of the total revenue generated by Commtel so far.
- From serving 7 customers at the outset we went on to serve close to 18 customers by the end of FY 2003.
- Apart from securing the first overseas services project in the second year of our operations, we executed our first major Turnkey Project for GAIL’s 1200 Kms long Jamnagar-Loni LPG pipeline while partnering with Nokia Siemens Networks.
- Signed the Value Added Re-Seller contract with Nokia Networks Oy.
- Our engineers successfully performed systems integration and FAT for Jamnagar-Loni Pipeline at Nokia’s Helsinki facility.
- Major projects were won directly from GAIL, GSPL, WWW Projects Pty Ltd.
- Secured financial assistance from Citibank N.A. for business growth.
- We entered the main stream telecom services business by partnering Nortel Networks and Marconi Communications to deploy large networks.
- Our order values started seeing a significant leap with newer customers and consistent repeat business from Oil & Gas majors.
December 1998 - March 2003
The Formative Years
April 2003 - March 2006
1st Business Plan - Goal 2006
The Big Push Forward
The Big Push Forward
- Human Capital: Our employee strength rose to 62.
- Infrastructure Push: In addition to the Mumbai office and Systems Integration Centre at Navi Mumbai, we set-up an additional new office facility of 1600 sq. ft. at Navi Mumbai in August, 2004.
- Dedicated Networks Deployed: At the end of our first business plan we enhanced the overall distance of dedicated networks installed across key sectors to about 9000 Kms.
- Revenue Growth: During the first business plan we achieved average revenue growth of 42%. This period constitutes for 12% of the total revenue achieved by us so far.
- Noteworthy increase in number of customers from 18 to 47 marked our enhanced market reach. New additions to our customer list were major industry players like L&T, IOCL, PGCIL, WRI, ECI Telecom etc.
- We continued winning notable projects from GSPL, GAIL and added new sectors to our customers list.
- Received ISO 9001:2000 Certification from BVQI.
- The first business plan executed in this phase constitutes for 12% of our total revenue generation, more than 50% growth over the formative years.
April 2006 - March 2009
Goal 2009 - Reaching The Next Level
- Human Capital: Our employee strength reached to 100.
- Infrastructure Push: Our growth ambitions got a further short in the arm in April 2007 with the inclusion of a state of the art 6500 sq. ft. new office set-up at Navi Mumbai. In addition to a significantly large office, it had a Systems Integration Centre, Stores, 24x7 Help Desk, Test Bed and Training facilities.
In June 2007, we also set-up a 5000 sq. ft. subsidiary company in Sharjah Airport International Free Zone, United Arab Emirates by the name of Commtel Networks (FZC), heralding our international presence.
- Dedicated Networks Deployed: We built nearly 14000 Kms of dedicated telecom networks by the end of our Goal 2009.
- Revenue Growth: We achieved average revenue growth of 40% marking the completion of our 2nd business plan. This period contributed 29% to Commtel’s total revenue till date.
- Major projects were won directly from GSPL, WRI, APTRANSCO, TCIL, Western Railway and ABB AS Norway.
- We made our presence felt even in powerhouse sectors like Railways and Power apart from retaining leadership position in Oil & Gas sector.
- ‘Launch of New Commtel’ event marked our decade old existence, accompanied by unveiling of the new Commtel logo with the tag line “Let’s Reach the Next Level”.
- We won the prestigious turnkey project from Cairn Energy for deployment of an integrated solution for the Barmer-Bhogat crude pipeline (world’s longest heated pipeline).
- Entered into the US Market through the formation of United Commtel.
April 2009 - March 2012
Goal 2012 - Sustainable Growth
- Human Capital: This phase marked the inclusion of various major projects stretched across geographies. The impetus was to deliver them without compromising on quality or timelines. Hence the workforce saw considerable strengthening through 157 dedicated Commtelians.
- Infrastructure Push: In the year 2011, we established a sprawling 24,000 sq. ft., state of the art facility at Juinagar in Navi Mumbai which could house ~200 Commtelians under one roof. Fully equipped with a high tech Solutions Test Centre, Demo Centre, Training Centre, 24x7 NOC, Stores and other critical business functions enabling superior customer engagement.
- Dedicated Networks Deployed: Sustaining the growth momentum we set up a total of 19200 Kms of telecom network till this point of time.
- Revenue Growth: During this period leading to Goal 2012 we attained average revenue growth of 20%. This was a highly productive period in Commtel’s growth story as 54% of Commtel’s total revenue was achieved during this phase, proving our business model to be truly sustainable and growth oriented.
- Achieved successful re-certification of ISO 9001:2008 Certificate by Bureau Veritas.
- We bagged order for deployment of telecommunication and surveillance systems for the biggest hydroelectric project undertaken in India from NHPC for its Subansiri Hydroelectric Project.
- Achieved a milestone, when we bagged a potentially big offshore project from an international EPC named SIME DARBY, to equip ONGC’s strategic offshore platform with state of the art converged telecommunication systems.
- Secured and successfully executed major projects for customers like HPCL, HMEL, GAIL, IOCL and PGCIL.
- We became the official sales partner of Cisco and Motorola for their products in India.
- Launched ‘TechCare’, a part of Care and Sustenance Group, which aims at providing our customers exclusive post-sales services beyond general maintenance and fault finding.
- Won and successfully executed a high profile project from Petrofac International in the Central Asian region for Turkmengas, in record time.
- We were nominated and awarded a ‘Certificate of Excellence’ by Inc India magazine for our exemplary growth story and was amongst the Top 500 fastest growing SME’s.
April 2012 - March 2015
Goal 2015 - Strong Statement Through Performance
- Human Capital: Starting our journey with just 14 employees we became a strong contingent of over 200 at the end of FY 2014-15.
- Infrastructure Push: Expanded the UAE office with an additional area of 5000 sq. ft., seamlessly converged into one single state of the art facilities with total operating area of 12,000 sq. ft.
We started our operations from a 700 sq. ft. rented premise, which today spans 45,000 sq. ft. of cumulative infrastructural spread across India, UAE and USA.
- Dedicated Networks Deployed: In a span of over 17 years, starting from a few thousand kilometers, we have established nearly 44000 Kms of dedicated telecom networks across the Oil & Gas, Power, Transportation and allied sectors.
- Revenue Growth: We have doubled our revenue every three years since the unveiling of our first business plan in the FY 2003.
- On 1st December 2014, we stepped into 17th year of our evolution, traversing a long, eventful journey.
- Launched a revamped ‘TechCare 2.0’ Customer Interface Portal and mobile application exclusively for our customers, based on latest Android and Apple iOS platforms.
- We partnered with Fotech Solutions of UK for its products in India. Successfully implemented PIDS technology for three esteemed customers using its revolutionary Helios Distributed Acoustic Sensor (DAS) monitoring system.
- Acquired major turnkey projects to be executed on a global scale from customers like Abu Dhabi Company for Onshore Oil Operations, Archirodon Construction Overseas Co. SA., Kuwait Oil Company, Petrofac International Ltd., Qatar Petroleum, Sinopec International Petroleum Service Corporation, Takreer, Technip etc.
- Unveiled and felicitated two Commtelians jointly with our second ‘Spirit of Innovation Award’, an award that recognizes exceptional efforts of an inspiring individual who has made significant impact towards Innovation and upheld the company values and practices in the highest manner.
- We received ‘2014 Partner Recognition Award’ from one of our longtime partner’s Coriant, for outstanding performance in the year 2014.
- Awarded ‘Certificate of Excellence’ for the second consecutive year by Inc India magazine for our exemplary growth story and being amongst the Top 500 fastest growing SME’s.
- Featured in ‘Leading SME’s of India 2014’ released by Dun & Bradstreet.
- We realized our objectives mandated to ‘Goal 2015’ and achieved the set revenue target.